Dorothy B. Brothers Scholarship Opportunity for WBEs
Please submit your questions to DBB@wbenc.org.
WBENC is proud to offer the Dorothy B. Brothers Scholarship to its Women's Business Enterprises (WBEs) as an opportunity to receive up to $11,000 in tuition to attend some of the best executive education programs in the country. If awarded the scholarship, the WBE will choose from a list of WBENC approved executive programs to develop their business and themselves professionally to better serve their company.
The History of the Scholarship:
WBENC suffered a great loss in the passing of Dorothy B. Brothers in July 2002. Ms. Brothers was a Supplier Diversity & Development executive and WBENC board member. The Dorothy B. Brothers Scholarship was founded by Ms. Brothers and was made available to owners of WBENC-Certified Women's Business Enterprises (WBEs) looking to attend executive programs.
This scholarship provides women business owners access to the same high caliber executive development that is available to Fortune 500 Companies and a framework that enables WBEs to formulate and implement business strategies and achieve a competitive advantage in the new millennium.
Candidates should meet the following criteria for scholarship consideration:
- Currently certified and in good standing as a Women's Business Enterprise (WBE) by WBENC
- Must be the owner of the organization
- Have at least three to five years' experience running their business
- Employ at least three full-time employees
- Maintain a minimum annual sales volume of $500,000 (the range is $500,000 to $50,000,000)**
- Have not recently attended an executive management program (Tuck-WBENC Executive Program graduates are eligible to apply, but preference will be given to WBEs that have not already received a scholarship).
- Have not previously been awarded a Dorothy B. Brothers Scholarship
**Any exceptions to the eligibility criteria should be explained in detail in the essay. While the acceptable range for scholarship eligibility is $500,000 to $50,000,000, businesses outside of this range that believe they have a compelling reason to receive a scholarship are welcome to apply. Please outline your reason(s) in the essay portion.
For any questions about the scholarship or application please contact us at DBB@wbenc.org.
As an ongoing process, WBENC reviews the executive programs currently identified for availability, criteria, and value to ensure that they comply with WBENC's goals and objectives. Additional programs may be added as appropriate. Executive programs are selected to meet the developmental needs of the scholarship winners. Scholarship recipients may choose outside of the list below only with approval by WBENC.
Currently, the following schools are approved for use of the Dorothy B. Brothers Scholarship:
- Tuck-WBENC Strategic Growth Program, presented by IBM, New York
- WBENC Accelerated Leadership Development Program, sponsored by Robert Half
- WBENC Energy Executive Program
- WBENC Women in Technology Program, presented by Dell
- Berkeley Center for Executive Education, University of California at Berkeley
- Darden Graduate School of Business Administration, University of Virginia
- Dartmouth Tuck School
- Harvard Business School
- Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University
- Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University
- Marshall School of Business, University of Southern California
- McCombs School of Business, University of Texas at Austin
- University of California at Los Angeles, UCLA Anderson
Click here to see a detailed listing of the approved programs with pricing and overviews.
What to Expect if Awarded a Scholarship
If awarded the Dorothy B. Brothers Scholarship, WBENC will pay for the program/school of your choice, whether it's $2,500 or $11,000 in tuition. The scholarship does not cover travels costs for the selected program and the awardee may only attend one program. Tuition fees are paid directly to the school selected, not the WBE. If the program fee is less than $11,000, the WBE may not receive the difference and will not be able to attend a second program using the remainder.
Contributions to the Dorothy B. Brothers Scholarship Fund
Contact us at DBB@wbenc.org for information about how to contribute to the scholarship.
Previous Dorothy B. Brothers Scholarship Recipients
More than 250 WBENC certified women's business enterprises have be awarded this prestigious scholarship to advance themselves and their companies.
“I was honored to receive the Dorothy B. Brothers Scholarship to attend the Tuck-WBENC Executive Program. It meant so much to me to be recognized for all of my hard work, dedication and willingness to grow. It provided me with the opportunity to focus "on" my business for a full week and connect with amazing people along the way. This week was so powerful and an experience I will carry with me forever. My heart is grateful to WBENC for all of the benefits I continually gain from the organization both personally and professionally.
̶ Annette Walter, Timber Industries
“I am forever grateful for WBENC and the Dorothy B. Brothers scholarship I received to attend Harvard Business School’s Executive Education Launching New Ventures program. It was a life enriching experience greatly impacting me professionally and personally. The immediate effect to my business is evident through the global connections I have made and the networks which were created through intense study and participant collaboration. The HBS experience stretched our minds to see the possibilities beyond mental and physical borders. The amazing instruction is clearly devoted to the mission of educating leaders who make a difference in the world! For those corporations, organizations and individuals who have contributed to this scholarship fund, THANK YOU, as Harvard Business School became a reality! For those WBEs interested in expanding your mind and world, apply for the DBB scholarship today!”
̶ Susie Galyardt, XIOSS